How Big is a Bug ?
- find out about bacteria and viruses.
Pink Bugs, Purple Bugs
- perform the Gram stain procedure and identify some bacteria from the LabWork rogues gallery.
Bacterial Growth Curve
- determine the rules which control bacterial growth: the growth rate constant and the mean generation (doubling) time.
- find out the antibody concentration of a test antiserum and the number of antibody binding sites on an antigen molecule.
Mr Campbell's Kidney
- perform the most popular laboratory test in the world today.
- advise patients about a dangerous virus.
Viruses Don't 'Grow'
- perform a classic experiment which demonstrates the principles of virus replication.
Influenza Virus Haemagglutination
- measure the amount of virus produced and determine the antigenic type of an unknown strain.
- who dunnit? Find out using PCR!