Here's what we're going to do...
- Yesterday evening, I prepared a 10ml culture of Escherichia coli (E.coli) bacteria. This was grown overnight at 37°C.
- Earlier today, I prepared a sterile 2 litre flask containing 1litre of L-broth (a rich bacterial growth medium).
- When you tell me to start, I will add the overnight E.coli culture to the pre-warmed flask, which will be incubated at 37°C with rapid shaking.
- I will take a 5ml sample of the culture every 30 minutes.
- We - yes, that means you too - will "count" the bacteria by performing a viable count and measuring the optical density of the culture.
OK, I'll process most of the samples - you can just do one so you know how.
Click here when you want to start the experiment
© AJC 2007.