- Utilization of chemical bond energy, oxidation - reduction (redox) reactions.
- Reduction potential (Eo) = tendency to take up or accept electrons.
- The electron tower and coupled reactions:
The carbon cycle and key groups of organisms:
- carbon dioxide fixation
- fermentation and anaerobic respiration
- methanogenesis and methanogenic archaea
- methane oxidation and methylotrophic bacteria
The nitrogen cycle and key groups of microorganisms:
- nitrification and Nitrosomonas, Nitrobacter etc
- nitrogen fixation, detection by acetylene reduction
- Rhizobium and symbiotic associations etc - free living nitrogen fixation
The sulphur cycle and key groups of microorganisms:
- sulphur oxidation and Thiobacillus etc
- sulphate reduction and Desulfovibrio etc
- Microorganisms and ore deposition
- Syngenetic and epigenetic sulphur ores.
Present day depositional systems:
- Iron, manganese deposits and ferromanganese concentrations.
- Iron bacteria, Gallionella, Leptothrix.
- Microbial mining (Biohydrometallurgy)
- Thiobacillus ferrooxidans and others.
Leach pile mining:
- Pollution with jarosites; HFe3(SO4)2(OH)6
L.M.Prescott et al.
A balanced, comprehensive introduction to all major areas of microbiology. The
sixth edition has been updated extensively to reflect the latest discoveries
in the field.